Latvian Road Museum
Roads are so characteristic and accustomed achievement of civilization that we hardly think of them more than of the air we breathe. However, how did roads come into existence? Who built them and how? How many resources and work are necessary for building one kilometre of road? Where does a road go and where does it come from? How many different roads it takes to go to the necessery places? Answers to these questions and more may be found in the Latvian Road Museum.
The Road Museum was established in 1976 and it is located in an arhitectural monument in the Šlokenbeka Manor ensemble.
The Šlokenbeka Manor was built in the 15h century and was reconstructed thanks to enthusiasm, means and work of Latvian road workers.
It is not possible to put a road as a structure in museum show-cases. However, there we may find information on the history of establishing road network, construction of roads and bridges, the first roads with bituminous pavement and the first road signs in our country. It all may be found in the dwelling house of the Manor.
Collection of horse carts and harnesses, as well as, horse drawn equipment for road works may be seen in the Hill Cart House.
The Bottom Cart House among other pieces of road construction equipment houses the pride of the Museum - "Marshall", a steam roller originally manufactured in Great Britain in 1924 - the only steam roller remaining in Latvia.
Open-air exhibition shows samples of different pavements, road signs, stone rollers and more than 300 years old mileage posts.
You are welcome to the Latvian Road Museum!
Museum is open to visitors
May - October
Mon - closed, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri 09:00 - 16:00, Sat, Sun 10:00 - 17:00
November - April
Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri 09:00 - 16:00, Sat, Sun - closed
During state holidays the Museum is closed.
Tours can arranged by telephoning: +371 63182354